|OSHA ISSUES SAFETY AND HEALTH INFORMATION BULLETIN ON MOLD
WASHINGTON -- A new Safety and Health Information Bulletin
issued by OSHA today gives recommendations on how to prevent
mold growth and how to protect workers involved in the prevention
and cleanup of mold. Indoor exposure to mold can cause allergic
reactions and asthma attacks in some individuals.
"This bulletin offers workers some basic information
on how to prevent, control and remove mold in buildings leading
to the reduction of health risks," said OSHA Administrator
John Henshaw. "By reading this bulletin, workers with
little or no experience with mold remediation may be able
to determine if a mold problem exists and whether the contamination
can be managed in-house or if outside assistance is required."
The Safety and Health Information Bulletin is directed primarily
at building managers, custodians, and others responsible for
building maintenance. It offers recommendations on how to
prevent mold growth, proper use of personal protective equipment,
ways to assess mold or moisture problems, and methods to cleanup
damage caused by moisture and mold growth.
The bulletin also includes checklists on mold prevention
tips, how to determine if a mold problem exists, cleanup methods,
and mold remediation guidelines based on the size of an affected
area to make it easier to select the appropriate techniques.
Additional sections address personal protective equipment,
sampling methods and remediation equipment.
Molds are found almost everywhere and can grow on virtually
any substance as long as moisture and oxygen are present.
Molds can damage building materials and, if left unchecked,
can eventually cause structural damage to wood-framed buildings
by weakening floors and walls.
Some molds have the potential to cause adverse health effects,
including asthma attacks in some people who are allergic to
mold. Exposure to mold can also cause other types of allergic
reactions, including hay fever type symptoms, skin rashes,
and irritation to the eyes, noses, throat, and lungs in both
mold-allergic and non-allergic people.